Safe Halloween costumes for children
Halloween is a time for fun for many children. Part of the fun for children is dressing up as their favorite character. Here are a few tips to make sure you pick the safest costume for your child.
- Costumes should be light, bright, and clearly visible.
- Make sure all costumes allow for good visibility and are comfortable to walk in without tripping
- Look for flame resistant fabrics such as nylon or polyester or look for the label “flame resistant.” Flame resistant fabrics will resist burning and should extinguish quickly.
- Be sure that there are no flowing garments that a child could stumble over.
- Use make-up instead of a mask for better visibility.
- Use reflective tape on costumes and bags.
- Use small bags so children won’t trip.
- Use cardboard to make toy weapons such as swords, knives and other costume accessories.