Keep in mind you need to burn 3,500 calories to lose one pound. That seems like a lot, however if you combine physical activity with good nutrition, you can do it! Here’s how:
- Eat smaller portions. Enjoy all the foods you like, but just smaller amounts.
- Start all of your meals by eating fruits, vegetables, or salad, and by drinking a glass of water. This will help you feel full off of lower calorie foods AND it will help you get in the recommended half-plate of fruits and vegetables which each meal.
- Cut out calories from beverages. One can of regular soda or one sports drink per day for a year equals more than 15 pounds of weight gain.
- Eat slowly. It takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize that your stomach is full. If you eat too fast, you may miss that cue.
- Be mindful about your eating. When you eat, enjoy your food. Avoid mindlessly snacking while doing another task like driving or watching TV. Being mindful will help you cue into when you’re actually full.
- Set realistic goals. For example, maybe you currently drink one can of soda per day. Instead of cutting out soda completely, which may not be doable for you at this time, try decreasing your intake to just three per week. Then after a few weeks, decrease even more.
- Forgive yourself for the occasional indulgence. Just get back on the wagon the next time you eat. You don’t have to be perfect–don’t give up on your goals if you slide once in a while.