Driscoll Children’s Medical Plaza – McAllen
1120 E. Ridge Road
McAllen, TX 78503
Phone: (956) 688-1379
Fax: (956) 618-3800
Hours: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday and 1 – 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
The McAllen Laboratory is a state-of-the-art, computerized, full-service testing laboratory open seven days a week. On-call pathologists are also immediately available for clinical consultation.
The Laboratory has advanced instrumentation utilizing the expertise, innovation and experience of a team of well-trained professionals focused on delivering superior services to the healthcare community ranging in age from neonate to 21 years old. The appropriateness, clinical necessity, timeliness and the extent of our laboratory services are determined, in part, by the complex medical needs of our pediatric patients and by our pathologists, directors and managers.
- College of American Pathologists (CAP) Accredited
- CLIA Certified
- Around-the-clock, full-service lab: Laboratory services are available Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Laboratory services are also available Saturday and Sunday, 1 to 8 p.m.
- Full service testing:
- Hematological and chemical testing are available with moderate-volume instrumentation that enables the laboratory to provide same-day results.
- Coagulation and urology testing are also available through fast and accurate instrumentation providing same-day results.
- Rapid testing available during all hours of operation helps provide a clear picture with physicians’ diagnosis and course of treatment.
- Cystic fibrosis screening: Providing the “Gold Standard” test for cystic fibrosis (sweat chloride), we offer many times of collection throughout the week (Monday – Thursday) to make the sample and testing processes as safe and reliable as possible.
- Up-to-date technology: Monitored by experienced professionals certified through ASCP, Driscoll Children’s Medical Plaza Laboratory combines skill and technological accuracy to ensure reliable results make their way to the ordering physicians.
- Conveniently located: Unlike most clinics that only draw labs and send them out, we have a full-service lab that starts testing immediately.
- Conveniently accessible: As sweat chlorides and glucose tolerance tests are by appointment only, there are no other appointments necessary for lab services offered. All hours of operation for the laboratory are strictly walk-in services.
- The Driscoll spirit of healing: As a proud extension of Driscoll Children’s Hospital in Corpus Christi, Driscoll Children’s Medical Plaza continues the tradition that Clara Driscoll began with her vision of helping and healing the children of south Texas. All departments along with our Laboratory staff enthusiastically share that same spirit through our results.
Phone: (956) 688-1379 or (956) 688-1245
Fax: (956) 618-3800
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a blood test?
A blood test is a common, but important procedure that may help your child’s doctor diagnose an illness or monitor treatment.
How will your test be collected?
Specimen collections may be obtained by blood (from the heel, finger or venous) urinalysis (clean catch or bagged), swabs and feces.
How can you get your results?
The test(s) will be sent to the hospital’s main Laboratory for testing. The Laboratory will send your test results to your doctor’s office. Your doctor will discuss the results with you.
What is a glucose tolerance test?
A glucose tolerance test is used to detect diabetes or hypoglycemia. This test has timed blood and urine collects and usually takes up to two hours. The two main tests are used to measure the presence of blood sugar problems.
What is a sweat test?
Sweat tests are used to test for cystic fibrosis. The salt (sodium and chloride) from a stimulated area of the skin is measured.
What are some common laboratory tests?
Non-fasting tests (no eating restrictions)
- Allergen tests
- CBC – complete blood count
- Drug testing
- Glucose – non-fasting
- Growth hormone
- Hepatitis tests
- Mono test
- PCR (Respiratory and GI panels)
- Pregnancy test
- Prothrombin time
- RSV rapid test
- Streptococcus – strep test
- Total bilirubin
- Thyroid test
- Type and crossmatch
- Sweat test
- Stool test
- Urine culture
Fasting tests (do not eat after midnight)
- Lipid panel
- Basic metabolic panel
- Comprehensive metabolic panel
- Thyroid panel
- Hepatic panel
- Glucose tolerance test – to detect diabetes or hypoglycemia
Accreditation and Certification
The College of American Pathologists, the leading organization of board-certified pathologists, serves patients and the public by fostering and advocating excellence in the practice of pathology and laboratory medicine. It is dedicated to quality medical care for the American public with the services and information needed to ensure quality laboratory services.
For TTY Deaf Messaging Connect to TTY Interpretation by dialing (800) 735-2989.