Child Life & Therapeutic Arts
What is a child life specialist?
The Driscoll Child Life Program helps decrease the stress and anxiety felt by children and caregivers during their healthcare experience. Our staff consists of trained professionals who have either a bachelor’s or master’s degree and have completed a Child Life Internship with a minimum of 600 hours.
Child life specialists:
- Prepare your child for procedures or surgeries using language that children understand
- Provide support and distraction during medical procedures
- Introduce coping strategies to help reduce anxiety and enhance cooperation
- Help your child understand their diagnosis and treatment
- Offer legacy building and bereavement support
- Provide information, education and support for caregivers, siblings and other family members
- Offer opportunities for play, socialization and expressive activities
Our team has 12 Child Life Specialists and 7 Child Life Assistants, providing services to:
- 4th, 6th and 7th Tower inpatient units
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Emergency Department
- Day Surgery
- Cancer and Blood Disorders Center
- Outpatient Renal Dialysis
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Subspecialty services in McAllen & Brownsville
Amazon Wish List - Contact Child Life at 361-694-5048 about donations
Child Life Clinical Internship - The Child Life Practicum Program has been indefinitely suspended – the Child Life Clinical Internship will be offered instead. More info coming soon!
For more information about the Child Life & Therapeutic Arts Program at Driscoll Children’s Hospital, please call (361) 694-5048. If you are interested in learning more about the Child Life profession, please visit www.childlife.org.
Driscoll Children's Hospital Child Life & Therapeutic Arts
3533 S. Alameda St.
Corpus Christi, Texas 78411
Phone: (361) 694-5048
Fax: (361) 808-2002
For TTY Deaf Messaging, connect to TTY Interpretation by dialing (800) 735-2989.