Some of the finest physicians in cardiac care are only a heartbeat away at Driscoll Children’s Hospital. Driscoll’s pediatric cardiology program has provided quality, compassionate care to the children of South Texas since 1962. Today, using state-of-the-art facilities, as well as the largest network of consult services available to the healthcare providers of the region, we offer excellence in pediatric and congenital heart care to the patients we serve.
Driscoll’s Cardiology clinics serve a number of communities in South Texas. We welcome your child and your family, and we look forward to partnering with you in the health of your child.
Your clinic visit will consist of:
Registration – Entering your child’s information into our electronic medical record.
It will be helpful for you to bring the following information:
- A photo ID of parent/guardian for verification
- Your child’s medication bottles
- Your child’s immunization record or medical passport
- Your child’s social security card
Triage – Getting your child’s height, weight, heart and breathing rates, oxygen level and blood pressures.
Doctor Visit – One of our physicians will visit with you and examine your child. The doctor may request tests (e.g. EKG or echocardiogram) to be performed; these tests can often be done during your visit. Occasionally, tests will be done before your visit with the doctor so that the results can be given to you efficiently.
Testing – Often, an EKG can help your doctor, and most of our patients receive an EKG at the visit. Sometimes the physician may request an echocardiogram, which is an ultrasound of the heart. This test allows us to image the heart and to assess its function. Echocardiograms are performed by trained echocardiogrophers, and occasionally your doctor may perform part of the exam.
- Fetal evaluations
- Neonatal evaluations
- General cardiology consultation for heart murmurs, chest pain, heart rhythm, syncope (passing out), sports participation
- Non-invasive imaging including trans-thoracic echocardiogram, trans-esophageal echocardiogram, cardiac MRI/MRA, high resolution CT with 3-D reconstruction
- Exercise testing
- Electrophysiologic study and ablation therapy
- Pacemaker implantation and testing
- Interventional cardiology including balloon valvuloplasty, stent therapy, coil embolization and device closures of ASDs, VSDs and PDAs
Visit all your child's specialists in one trip to Driscoll Children's Hospital!
For your convenience, please ask any of our specialty clinics to coordinate all of your child's appointments in one day.
You can contact us at (361) 694-5000 or call your specialty clinic directly for further assistance.