For a free car seat inspection or child passenger safety information, parents can call the Injury Prevention Program at Driscoll Children’s Hospital, (361) 694-6700 or toll-free (866) 886-KYKS (5957).
The Injury Prevention Program trains health professionals, parents, students, emergency services, law enforcement and any other group or individual who requests education. We have a certified instructor to teach the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Standardized Technical Training to certify individuals in the area of child passenger safety.
Child Passenger Safety Recommendations
- Never place a rear-facing seat in front of an airbag. Infants should ride rear facing until they are at least 2 years of age or preferably they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their car safety seat manufacturer. For optimal protection, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children remain rear-facing until reaching the maximum rear-facing weight limit of the child safety seat. Most child safety seats on the market today can be used rear-facing up to 40 pounds. Refer to your car seat instructions.
- Children who are forward facing need to stay in a 5 point harness system until reaching the maximum weight allowed.
- In a rear-facing seat, the harness straps should be at or below shoulders; in a forward-facing seat it should be at or above shoulders (reinforced slots).
- Harness straps should be snug (pinch test at collarbone), flat and not twisted. Harness retainer clip should be at armpit level.
- Please read the owner’s manuals for your car seat and your vehicle. This will help you make sure you are using your child safety seat correctly.
The current state law requires all children younger than eight (8) years old, unless they are taller than four feet, nine inches, to be properly restrained in a child safety seat.
Child Car Seat Inspections
The Injury Prevention Program sponsors public car seat inspection events. Our certified technicians will check your car seat for free, making sure it is the appropriate seat for your child, and that it is installed properly into the automobile. We also check individual car seats by appointment at our office. Please call (361) 694-6700 to schedule an appointment.
To find out more information please call (361) 694-6700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.