Day Surgery is the entry point for surgical patients who are expected to go home the same day, 23-hour admits and surgical admissions that will require extended hospitalization. Day Surgery is designed for the care and comfort of patients and families.
The Day Surgery unit at Driscoll Children's Hospital is fully equipped to manage all forms of day surgery cases, including:
- General pediatric surgery
- Plastic surgery
Sneak Peek Pre-Op Tour
The Sneak Peek Pre-Op Tour is offered to help reduce the stress and anxiety often associated with having surgery. A Child Life specialist will provide general information about Driscoll Children's Hospital Day Surgery unit, what you and your child can expect on the day of surgery and answers to any questions or concerns you or your child may have about the surgery process. Tours are encouraged for children of all ages, parents and brothers and sisters.
Reserve your spot on our next tour by calling (361) 694-5760 or by emailing PreOpTour@dchstx.org.
- Packets to the physician's offices are available upon request. Packets include brief history and physical forms, instruction forms and information for the patient concerning their upcoming hospital stay.
- Pre-op visits and phone calls - visits are scheduled at the convenience of the patient. Calls are made to any family unable to come for visits.
- Complete staff of registered nurses who are PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) certified.
- Private and semi-private patient rooms are available, and all rooms have TV/VCRs for educational programming.
- A play area is available for children to play while they wait to be taken to surgery.
- A child life specialist is available to provide developmental, educational and therapeutic interventions for our children receiving medical treatment. Our specialist works to help manage anxiety and stress before surgical procedures.
- Three comfortable waiting areas are provided, complete with activities and games for those waiting.
- A post-operative call is made to follow-up on instructions given the first work day after a patient visit.
Visit all your child's specialists in one trip to Driscoll Children's Hospital!
For your convenience, please ask any of our specialty clinics to coordinate all of your child's appointments in one day.
You can contact us at (361) 694-5000 or call your specialty clinic directly for further assistance.